Application, Lottery, and Intake Process
About Tapestry Charter School:
Tapestry Charter School is a K-12 public school for children, parents and teachers who believe in weaving together the humanities, sciences, arts and social responsibility. Tapestry Charter School received approval from the State University of New York Board of Trustees and the New York State Education Department to open in September 2001.
The mission of Tapestry Charter School is to provide a challenging and rigorous education in an environment that emphasizes diversity, compassion, collaboration, community, creativity, and leadership, so that students are academically and socially prepared to meet the demands of further education while maturing into productive and caring adults with a lifelong passion for learning.
Public Information Sessions: You can learn more about our program at one of our Public Information Sessions. See our Upcoming Events page.
Shadow Dates: Shadow dates provide potential Tapestry students an up-close look at our school and classes. A shadow date can be scheduled once your student has been accepted into the program in April. To arrange a shadow date after acceptance please call the office: Kindergarten-8th grade at 716-332-0754 or the high school at 716-204-5883. Special dates are scheduled for 8th graders who are considering Tapestry's high school program.
All K-12 2017-2018 Applications must be submitted Friday, April 3, 2017.
The K-12 Lottery is scheduled for Friday, April 7, 2017 at 10:00 AM in the High School Library. Letters will be sent out to all applicants with your result.
Admission begins with the completion of an official application form that may be obtained by:
- Picking up an application form at the school or downloading from the website under forms.
- Requesting that a form be mailed to you.
- Upon completion, all applications will be reviewed for accurate information.
- Applications for admission remain valid during the school year applied for.
- Students not selected for admission need to reapply for the subsequent school years.
A lottery will be held to fill vacancies each school year. Parents will be notified in writing when student have been selected through the lottery for admission. More details to come.
In the event that class enrollments are filled, a waiting list will be maintained. The wait list will be maintained for the school year. If an applicant has not been selected for admission, he or she must reapply for the following school year. Parents will be notified in writing of their child’s position on the waiting list. The waiting list does not carry forward to the following school year.
- Students maintaining continuous enrollment at Tapestry Charter School need not reapply at the end of the school year.
- All applicants will be selected through the lottery process.
- Families with siblings will be given “ preference” if there is an opening in the grade requested. There is no guarantee that the school will have space for a sibling.
- A student who has elected to withdraw from Tapestry Charter School and wishes to return Tapestry Charter School must reapply as a new student.
Students seeking admission for Kindergarten must:
- Be 5 years old on or before December 1st.
- Be administered a Kindergarten readiness test.
- Have a report/evaluation from the pre-school teacher (if applicable).
- Provide current immunization records.
For all students, the registration process includes the completion of the following items:
- Registration Form.
- Residency Verification Form and required documentation.
- Record Release Form.
- Copy of current report card and State testing scores.
- Copy of Birth Certificate..
- New York State Textbook Request Form.
- Immunization Form.
- Physical Form.
- Application for Free and Reduced Lunch/Breakfast.
- Other items required by the administration and central office personnel.