August 7, 2020
Dear Tapestry Families,
Today, Governor Cuomo held a conference call announcing that all New York schools are authorized to open, as every region is below the daily infection rate threshold—5% over a 14-day period—that has been established by the state for reopening. Given this final green light from the Governor, Tapestry will move forward with our plans to reopen safely, thoughtfully, and together, with your voice and feedback.
The Governor noted that it was the responsibility of local school districts to come up with plans for reopening and schools must work with parents and teachers on implementation. At Tapestry, we have been very fortunate to have been engaged in reopening conversations and meetings with parents and teachers since last school year ended. In addition, as you know, we have set up a formal committee with meeting topics addressing stakeholder questions and concerns and receiving feedback and voice from a diverse subset of our school community. Internally, Tapestry school leaders have been busy updating their shared administrative and instructional leadership teams and gathering feedback at every grade-level.
Details of our Reopening Plan, along with our planning process and links to all of our Reopening Committee meeting agendas, slides, meeting recordings and district communications can be found on our website.
To recap, in brief, our draft Hybrid/In-Person Plan will consist of the following main elements:
- Students and families will have a choice to go 100% virtual or follow the in-person plan below;
- Grades K-2 will attend school in-person, beginning every other day from 7:30a – 1:45p; On the opposite day, they will participate in virtual/online learning. Fridays will alternate A/B weekly. Starting the week of October 5th, we plan to bring all K-2 students back every day.
- Grades 3-4 will attend school in-person every other day from 7:30a – 1:45p. On the opposite day, they will participate in virtual/online learning. Fridays will alternate A/B weekly.
- 5th Grade will move into a special area of the middle school building for one year and will attend in-person school on an A/B schedule Monday – Thursday from 7:30a – 1:30p. On the opposite day, they will participate in virtual/online learning.
- Grades 6-12 will attend in-person school on an A/B schedule Monday – Thursday 7:30a – 1:30p. On the opposite day, they will participate in virtual/online learning.
- Fridays will be dedicated to academic intervention for students in grades 5-12.
On Monday, all families will be hearing directly from our school leaders at each of our buildings, around further details regarding how our reopening plans will affect your children in their respective grade levels and classrooms.
Please stay tuned for new updates and communications from me on a weekly basis this summer. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.
We are crew.